Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sexting: Government intervention?

I feel I must weigh in on this hot topic. Sexting. The act of sending a sexy text sometimes containing nudity or suggested nudity to a friend or significant other. Approriate? Probably not. Something the government should step into? Definitely not.

Teens aren't the only ones guilty of this trend. I'm aware of a story where a grown man was fired for sharing a nude picture with a coworker. The wrong person walked by and saw the cell pic and reported him. He was fired on the spot.

I do agree that this has become a problem with the teenage crowd but to that I say what do parents expect when they give their teens or even younger that kind of freedom. Hand your 11 year old a cell phone and never check back in on him? or her? That's like giving your teen a computer in their room and not monitoring what they are looking at. You are asking for trouble. When I was a teen the only freedom I had in my room was a cable TV and yes I did sneak and watch shows I wasn't allowed to watch. Many times I was dropped in on and told to change the channel.

So I say, Shame on you parents for giving your child freedom with no guidelines. Teens need guidelines. Teens are full of curiosity and they are just finding themselves sexually. Of course they are going to be curious and push the limit. It's the parents job to pull that back in and teach their child what's appropriate and what's not. If they aren't acting right with their cell phone then take it away! A cell phone is a privilege no

And I do feel bad for the girls who send a nudey pic of themselves to their boyfriend only to break up and have the picture spread across school. But at the same time I say....you put yourself into that position. You let a teenage boy snap your picture or YOU sent that picture to a teenage boy. This should be common knowledge that it it's a good idea.

Reading about law enforcement or government passing legislation about sexting just makes me annoyed. I feel this is a parenting issue and people just need to step up and parent. Monitor what you teen is doing. Make sure they are using the gifts they have been given appropriately or take them away! Cell phones and computers are not rights! They are privileges.

No comments:

Post a Comment